Monday, March 17, 2008

There's nothing like an old friend to make me take a new look~at myself

I don't dye my hair (although with the grays that are sprouting lately, I'll probably start, soon). I don't spend a lot of money on trendy clothes. I don't often get manicures or pedicures. In fact, the last pedicure I had was the morning of Laura's birth. She's now 9 1/2 months old and sadly, there are still remnants of that polish on the big toe of my right foot. While I like these things, I don't think about them often. I guess that means they aren't really that important to me.

Now, I hope I'm not giving off the impression that I don't take care of myself or care about how I look, because I do. I usually dress in flattering but comfortable outfits and I almost always wear a scent. If R and I are going out, or I'm going out with friends, I enjoy getting dressed up, but my style is much more "my own" than what's "in".

An old roommate called this weekend. She's going to be in town for a few days with her kids and wanted to get together on Tuesday. We haven't seen each other in over a year, so it would be really nice to catch up.

My friend is very chic and stylish. She always sports the "in" hairstyle and wears the latest fashion trends.
She's the type who never looks "made up" but always looks like she just stepped out of a salon. When I lived with her, it would baffle me how she could roll out of bed and manage to look good.

So, what was the first thing I did after hanging up the phone? I looked in the mirror and realized I haven't had a haircut in about 3 1/2 months. I'm long overdue, but all the sudden it became an emergency, so I pulled out the phone book to find a place that was open on a Monday. No such luck. Then I started to fret...would I actually be able to get in somewhere before Tuesday morning? I left the phone book on the counter with plans to call places first thing in morning.

After my coffee this morning, I went to get Joey out of bed. He was sleeping unsually late today. When I looked down at my son, I saw that his eyes are weeping, he's feverish and he started coughing. I instantly knew that I wouldn't be seeing my friend this week. I knew the only person I would likely be seeing this week is my son's pediatrician. I also knew that he wouldn't even think twice if I showed up at his office with a ponytail.

So, as Joey ate his breakfast, I put the phone book away. However, I did tell myself that perhaps I'll call tomarow because it's time to get myself a proper haircut...

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Hello, april...
My name is lynne, and i just stumbled upon your site quite by accident, looking for a poem about an "old friend". After reading a bit of your blog, I felt compelled to extend a hand and heart of compassion to you, after the enormous loss you've had to endure, loosing the triplets. It griped me. The photo of your 2 sweet children is precious. I'm sure they give you much joy, but the pain of the other's loss remains. I am a mother of two grown children, and live in Alaska.
As one Mom to another, I needed to just stop and offer you a hug.
God cares about your pain, and so do I.