Monday, June 30, 2008

Milestones!

Well~today is a huge day in our household. First, it started with Laura taking three wobbly steps then collapsing in my arms, full in a fit of laughter. She was so proud of herself and full of giggles as she did it again. Her face lit up in complete bliss. I just love to watch kids do new things-they get such a kick out of themselves and think they are so great. I do too.

Then, the mailman delivered a package to our door. That the mail truck drove up our driveway in and of itself is enough to bring Joey complete joy, but the fact that the package was for him made it all the more exciting. Although I knew what was inside (I did order it, after-all) I wondered what he would think. Would he really be happy about the contents? Would he care at all? Would there be dissapointment that the package didn't contain a toy, but rather, it had sheets and a comforter inside?

There was only one way to find out and that was to open it. I saw the confusion on his face when he saw what was inside, but then we took the comforter out of the bag and laid it on the floor and he beamed and exclaimed, "Hey-Mom, there's a digger right there. And a dump truck. And a steam roller. And a backhoe. And a...(okay, you get the point)"

While the bedding was in the wash, he helped me move his new big boy bed from the guest room into his room. Then, instead of quiet time today, he helped me make his new bed. I left his crib set up because I expected am adjustment period and thought it might be easier for him if we did a slow transition-perhaps a few days or a week of naps in the bed but nights in the crib, then a few nights in the bed before we take the crib out.

At bedtime, he wanted me to lay in bed with him and read him stories. I thought maybe he was scared to be alone in his new bed, so I asked him: "Are you nervous, honey?" "No Mom, but it's really cozy in my bed so I want to share it with you"

Who would have thought?

Then, before I left he said, "Mom, I think we should take my crib out tomarow. I don't need it anymore"

So much for transition.

No less then 10 minutes after I put him down, R came home from a late meeting. He went upstairs to say goodnight to Joey before he fell asleep and to check out his new bed but wouldn't you know it-Joey was already sound asleep.

Seems he's adjusted pretty well.

I think I had a harder time with this change than he did! Now if I could only get him to go on the potty....

1 comment:

Lori said...

You are ahead of me! Pumpkin is still sleeping in her crib and still not using the potty! :) Although we did successfully ditch both the bottle and the binky- so at least that is something...

I'm glad he loves his new bed. It sounds very much like Big J's first bed, which also had a truck comforter. It gives me a smile to think back on that and my own little "truck boy."