Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Saying Goodbye...

Tonight, at 5:45, I will take my cat to the vet and he will put her down. I called this morning and as soon as the receptionist answered, my eyes filled with tears. I have unsuccessfully tried many times before to make this call. Today was the first time I was able to actually make the appointment because this time, I know in my heart, it is time.

I love my cat. She has been with me for over 15 years and she is a wonderful little beast. I got her at a "valley" period in my life and she helped through that period into a better "peak". She certainly has helped me through many more "valleys" since then. She's a small cat, often mistaken for a kitten. She is wonderful with the kids, loves people, is affectionate and friendly. But, she is old and she has a bladder problem and she is missing the litter box a lot.

While this is certainly not the worst thing I have ever gone through, it's so much more difficult than I would have imagined it to be. Already, there have been a few times when I've had to walk away from Joey because my eyes have been overflowing. And, I have no idea about what I'm going to tell him yet. I have no idea what to say to my 3 year old son about the cat he loves who will no longer be in his life.

The Vet has promised me that it will be a peaceful and humane experience for Poodie, and that I will be able to hold her the entire time. I am glad about that, because as difficult as it will be, it would be worse for me if I couldn't be there to say a final goodbye to my sweet little kitty.

Wow, this is a sad day.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oh, April. I am so very sorry. Thinking of you and your family and your cat.

All my best,
Angela

Anonymous said...

April,

I clicked on your comment on Angela's blog thinking maybe you were also in the process of adopting. I am so sorry about your cat, who has been with you through everything. I do think they hang on sometimes, somehow knowing you need them for awhile longer. Also, without sounding trite, I am sorry for all you have been through. You must be a very strong person. Hoping you are able to find peace in your heart and comfort in memories.

Heidi Biglin