Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ear Tubes

It's the eve of Laura's ear tube surgery-a date I've anxiously waiting for since February. I know the tubes will alleviate her ear discomfort, help her hear and sleep better, improve her balance and allow her to develop better babble/speech. I've wanted to move forward with this surgery for quite some time but all the insurance issues we had pushed us back a little. And now the date is finally here.

But now I'm am anxiously thinking about all the papers I had to sign last week-the papers that clearly outline the risks of the surgery and the anesthesia. The fine print disclaimers that state I can not hold the doctor or the hospital liable in the event that something catastrophic should happen. People keep telling me that ear tube surgery is the most common surgery done in children under three years old. I know that. It's not the ear tubes that I'm worried about; it's the anesthesia.

And so, while I know it's the right thing to do, I also know I won't sleep well tonight and that I'll be on edge the whole time, until I'm with her in recovery.
===
Monday May 19
9:30 a.m.

We're home from the surgery and Laura is doing great. I can see the difference in her hearing already, as she's searching for sounds she's never responded to before (the car starting, the microwave, etc) and who knows if this is a coincidence or not but she was cruising along the couch and she stopped, let go, started clapping, then cruised on. This was the first time ever that she stood independently. The doctor said he cleaned out all the "gummy nasty stuff" in her ears that would have affected her hearing and balance, so who knows.

Anyway, it was a very long 15 minutes from the time we left her until we saw her again and the fears ran rampant in my mind. I was never so relieved as when the nurse opened the door and we heard Laura screaming at the top of her lungs (a common reaction for babies as they come out of anesthesia. Thankfully, we were well informed it would happen)

I'm exhausted and feel like I could sleep for a week, but
I'm so glad it's over and my little girl came through everything just fine.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Selfishly, I am so thankful I didn't come to this post until the update!! Thank goodness she is back home and all is well. I can't wait to hear more about the changes you see in her with this newfound ability.

SOOOOO happy she is doing great!!

Angela said...

YEA! You have to be so relieved!