Monday, December 8, 2008

The Yuletide Begins

This past weekend, we went out as a family and purchased our Christmas Tree. It a Pennsylvania Douglass Fir, so it is tall but well tapered and not too wide. Joey, R and I decorated it together and it is beautiful.

I worked tonight, and as is customary for Mondays in our household, I arrived home after the kids were asleep. R had some work to finish up on the computer, so I made myself a cup of hot tea and took my book into the family room to enjoy the quiet and read for a while. When my cup was empty, I closed my book and let the dog out. I switched the lights off and went to turn the tree lights off, but stopped suddenly. The tree was magnificent with it's softly glowing lights in the now darkened room, and quite unexpectedly, I was overcome with emotion. Soft tears fill my eyes.

I wasn't sad by any means. I was just full of some rather powerful feelings. As it does so often during moments like this, my mind went to Hannah, Ryan and Abby. It was my first quiet moment of the Christmas season and I am grateful that I spent it with them.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I can't think of many things nicer than sitting in a darkened room with just the light of a Christmas tree. I love it.

There is something about this season that brings all emotions a little closer to the surface...