Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Made My Decsion

This morning, I had an appointment with my OB/GYN because I have had a chronic problem (nothing serious) on and off for years but all it takes is a medication and it usually clears right up. This time, I asked the doctor if we should probe further to figure out why I keep having this problem instead of just writing the prescription to clear it up. This was something I never really thought to ask about before, probably because I was too busy being pregnant or post-partum and had many other things on my mind.

She surprised me by saying that it's very common for women in infertility treatments, pregnancy, post-partum or for women who are nursing to have my problem and once those elements are removed, after a course of medication, the condition usually doesn't return. She also added that all the stress that I was under throughout the all these processes probably exasperated my problem. Now that my body is more regular, I will probably be fine.

Later today, I talked with the RE from my clinic. I asked all kinds of questions with the hope that the answers would bring me clarity and comfort with the decision I need to make regarding my embryos. As the conversation was coming to a close, he asked if I wanted to make an established patient consultation to go over all the odds, percentages and options available to us. He said he would transfer me to the front desk for an appointment. I hesitated a little too long and he finally said to me "April, I can't tell you what to do-this is a decision only you and R can make. However, at some point you need to think about your physical health and emotional well-being..."

Today I spoke with two doctors that have my utmost respect and both of them, in subtle ways, confirmed what I know to be true: I am better off closing the door on my infertility journey. And so, today I checked the box "Donate to research and training" and I put the letter in the mail.

I feel sad in many ways. How could I not? But, honestly, I am also relieved. I am no longer ready to move forward. I am moving forward.
======
Later that night, I had a complete meltdown. I couldn't stop thinking that I've made a terrible mistake, that I'm not done having children, that I would use all of the embryos with the hopes of having one or two more children. All I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and have R put his arm around me and hold me while I cried. Unfortunately, R was traveling that day so all he could do was listen to me over the phone.

The next morning, I was still wondering if I'd made a grave mistake. I even thought about calling the clinic to see if they would rip up the form and bill me for another year of storage, instead. But, I didn't do this.

Now, almost 5 days later, I still feel sad, but I know that it will fade. It does make me feel better knowing that my embryos will be used for training-that the embryologists will study them and learn how to find and test different chromosomes. I'm holding onto the belief that my embryos will help save a family from having a child with T-18 or some other chromosomal factor that is incompatible with life.

1 comment:

Lori said...

April- I have been thinking about this post since you first wrote it and just came back today to read your update. That just broke my heart, and yet I was not at all surprised. It reminds me of when I called to schedule an appointment with my RE and then called back a day later and canceled. Even though I decided I couldn't imagine going through all of that again I still burst into tears as soon as I hung up the phone. So many mixed feelings and you have the added reality and painful dilemma of knowing your own embryos are out there. I can only imagine how much that adds to this poignant decision.

There is a part of me that still can't believe I will not pursue any more pregnancies. Like you, so much of my adult life has been wrapped up in that pursuit. It's hard to let go of the idea of what another little one might mean to our family. But, I really do believe the best decision for my family is to try and find contentment in being the family of five that we are. I do pray that peace will come to you in the days ahead. You so deserve that.